The last of the Birmingham Vats was the Golden Eagle Vat, founded by H Smith, and a bit of a mystery. The membership book of Ritual lists the pub as at Wasley, Birmingham. This could be an error as there is no Wasley but there is a Waseley on the southern outskirts of the city near the suburbs of Rednal and Rubery. There is no trace of a Golden Eagle pub in the area and it has been suggested that the Vat was not named after a pub, there have been sighting of Golden Eagles over the years around t...
The Kings Head Vat was founded at the Kings Head, on the junction of Hagley Road and Bearwood Road, Harbourne by Blaster S. W. B. Stephens. The pub is still a going concern and like most places today is a gastropub. It has recently had a complete refit costing £1.5 million. The pub has it's own website : http://thekingsheadbirmingham.com/about.html
The Springfield Vat was founded by Blaster Percy E. Harper at The Springfield, 266 Solihull Road.It is another pub that is no more, but the building does still exist and is a restaurant and Banqueting Suite.
The Kings Arms Hotel Vat was founded by Blaster F.G.Laight at the Kings Arms Hotel, Kings Heath on the Alcester Road South. A large mock Tudor building it is still a going concern today as the Kings Arms and is part of the Ember Inn chain.
The Constitutional Club Vat was founded by R Lincoln at the East Birmingham Constitutional Club, 111 Bloomsbury Street, Nechells. The club is no more being demolished in either the 1950's or 1960's. The plot where the club once stood has since been redeveloped further.
Another Vat in the vicinity of both the Brunswick Vat and Coach and Horses Vat was the New Inns Vat. Founded by landlord Gilbert Brown it also on the Moseley Road a couple of hundred yards from what was the Brunswick. As of the end of 2011 the pub is closed and boarded up - fate as yet unknown, but it has been closed since the Summer of 2010.
Blaster H Linell also founded the Coach and Horses Vat at the Coach and Horses in Mary Steet, around 200 yards from the Brunswick Club Vat. It is not known whether he was running both at the same time or one after the other.
The Brewery Vat was at the Wylde Green on the Birmingham Road on the run into Sutton Coldfield from Erdington. The pub has changed hands many times over the years, it has a lovely bowling green, and has just been converted into a Hungry Horse Pub at the end of 2011. The picture dates from a year or two earlier.
The Cape of Good Hope Vat was at the bottom of Cape Hill . Mitchells and Butlers Cape Hill Brewery was further up the hill ( it closed in 2002 ). The Cape of Good Hope Inn sat on the junction of Dudley Road and Grove Lane, founded by E Moore. Originally built in 1814 - the Vat was the third building of the same name on the site and was erected in 1925 . Sadly the pub is now more and has been redeveloped, and McDonalds drive through stands where it once did.
Another Sutton Coldfield Vat was The Cup Vat and the Cup Inn on the Birmingham Road, Lower Parade. The founder of the Vat is unknown as the membership book of ritual refers to the Vat Steward as the Honorary Secretary of the Cup Inn. The pub is still a going concern and is now called the Cup of Maney.
Ian has not tagged any elements to the user profile